1. Lebanon is 6000 years old and has 18 religious communities.
2. It has 40 daily newspapers.
3. It has 42 universities.
4. It has over 100 banks (that are banks and not branches of a bank).
5. 70% of the students are in private schools.
6. There’s 1 doctor per 10 people in Lebanon. (In Europe and America, there’s around 1 doctor per 100 person).
7. The name LEBANON appears 70 times in the Old Testament.
8. The name CEDAR (Lebanon’s tree) appears 75 times too in the Old Testa- ment.
9. Beirut was destroyed and rebuilt 7 times (this is why it’s compared to The Phoenix).
10. There are 4.5 Million Lebanese in Lebanon.
11. There are around 18 Million Lebanese outside Lebanon.
12. Sky Bar voted number 1 nightclub in the world.
13. Beirut is the 10th most popular shopping destination in the world.
14. Beirut was named “World Book Capital” in 2009.
15. Byblos (city in Lebanon) is the oldest continuously living city in the world.
THE BIBLE was named after our city BYBLOS.
16. The country’s name is known to be the oldest in the world and has re- mained unchanged for over 4000 years.
17. Lebanon is the only Arab and Asian country that has absolutely no desert.
18. There are 15 rivers in Lebanon (all of them coming from its own mountains).
19. Lebanon is one of the most populated countries in its archaeological sites in the world.
20. The first alphabet was created in Byblos (city in Lebanon).
21. The only remaining temple of Jupiter (the main Roman god) is in
Baalbek, Lebanon (The City of the Sun).
22. According to Christianity, Jesus Christ made his 1st miracle in Lebanon, in Qana (The miracle of turning water into wine).
23. The Phoenicians (Original People of Lebanon) built the 1st boat, and they were the first to sail ever.
THE CONTINENT EUROPE was named after our Phoenician PRINCESS EUROPA.
24. Phoenicians also reached America long before Christopher Columbus did.
25. The 1st law school in the world was built in Lebanon, in Downtown Beirut.
26. Lebanese are trilingual (They speak 3 languages: Arabic, French & English).
27. The creators of Tom & Jerry are originally Lebanese.
(Joseph Barbara & William Hanna)
28. King Solomon’s temple was built with Lebanon’s cedars.
29. Egypt’s Pharaohs imported Lebanon’s cedars, marble and timber.
30. Lebanon is the first Arab country that had a constitution.
31. Lebanon, which represents 1/40 of the total area of the Arabic
Peninsula, produces 70% of the publications in the Arab world.
32. In springtime, and on the same day, you can ski in the mountains and/or swim in the sea.
33. “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”. Most people associate this quote to a speech made by US President John Kennedy in 1961. In fact, it came from one of Gibran Khalil Gibran’s books. (Lebanese writer and artist),
34. The creator and the production manager of the iPod is originally Lebanese. (Tony Fadel)
35. Lebanon is known to have the highest gold reserve in the Middle East.
36. In its halcyon days, prior to the civil war, Lebanon was known as the ‘Switzerland of the East’.
37. The Lebanese Hassan Kamel Al-Sabbah was the first one who was working on creating electricity from sunlight.
38. The first airlines in the Middle East is from Lebanon (Middle East Airlines).
39. Carlos Ghosn, Elie Saab, Carlos Slim Hel, Shakira, Salma Hayek, Gabriel Yared, Charles Elachi, Zuhair Murad, Billy Zane, Nicolas George Hayek, Tony Shalhoub etc. are all Lebanese or originally Lebanese people. Please Google them.
40. All of above and much more from a country of only 10452 square kilometers and from part of the world unstable since long time called Middle East.
All rights reserved © LEBANON LATIN FESTIVAL 2018